Are you ready to fully embrace your Goddess self in 2015? I know I am. 2013 was the Year of the Cosmic 2×4 for me. 2014 was supposed to be the Year of Me, and it was, but not the way I originally envisioned it. You see, I kept giving my power away and kept having to fight to take it back.
2015 is going to be different. Why? I learned a lot about myself in 2014 and spent much of the past few months releasing what no longer served – old beliefs, old patterns, old archetypes that were dragging me down.
I had a conversation with my friend and chiropractor a few weeks ago. She was helping me identify and release the Madonna complex. I had asked her what I was supposed to do after I released the Madonna complex to ensure I didn't fall back into that old trap again. She said, “You have to make up your own Goddess.” I thought what a great, fun idea that sounded like. But, it's more than that. It's not just about making up a new Goddess; it's about Be-ing Her. Be-ing the Goddess within.
Are you ready to Be a Goddess? Here's how.
1) Decide on a name – it might be your own name, or if you want to start anew, or you might choose a different name (Note: I am not saying you have to legally change or name or even tell anyone about your new Goddess name; you're doing this for you, so it's up to you who you decide to tell)
2) Look through books, websites, goddess oracle cards, the Featured Goddess section of this website and write down all the traits you admire in your fellow Goddesses. You can even choose traits from real people, if you'd like. (Check out the Everyday Goddess section for inspiration!)
3) Decide what you want to be Goddess of. Your domain might be Love, Creativity, the Arts, Business Success, etc.
4) Decide which of the traits you listed above are central to your new Goddess identity. Pick at least three traits, but no more than seven. (You can't be Goddess of everything!)
5) Write down your Goddess story – did you rise like a Phoenix out if the ashes, did you ride in on a seashell from the ocean, did you just appear full grow one day? This is your new Goddess story; it doesn't have to look anything like your original story.
6) Make up your own prayer – if people were to pray to you, what would they be praying to you for? (See Featured Goddess section for examples)? Do they value your strength, your wisdom, your cunning, your boldness?
7) Decide how your followers should pay tribute to you? Every Goddess needs a temple, or at the very least an altar. What should your followers bring you or do on your behalf to show their appreciation for you? (Again check out the Featured Goddess section for ideas.)
Go here to see my Goddess self!
Now we get to the really fun part!
8) Get to know your new Goddess self – How does she start and end her day? What does she like to eat for breakfast? How does she spend her time? What does she most enjoy doing? What are her hobbies? Design your ideal Goddess day and life here. Go wild!
9) Decide how your new Goddess self will dress and act – Does she always wear purple? Does she wear a certain piece of jewelry? How does she act when people come to pay tribute to her? What happens if they disrespect her? Remember: this is the new Goddess you. She may behave or dress very differently than the original you.
10) Decide how you are going to invoke your Goddess self – Are you going to hold a ritual? Say a prayer? Will the act of dressing a certain way or wearing certain jewelry serve as your invocation/reminder to be your new Goddess self?
11) Be a Goddess! – Expect people to treat you differently; you are a Goddess after all. People learn how to treat you based on how you treat yourself and what you will and won't put up with. It make take a few times interacting with the new Goddess you before they realize they can't treat you like they used to. That's okay. You don't need to be vindictive about it. Just gently let them know through your words and actions how you'd like to be treated and that they either need to get on board – and start paying tribute to you! – or get out of your life.
12) Be gentle with yourself – Being a Goddess may take some adjustment on your part too. You might fall into old patterns or want to change some of your new Goddess traits. That's perfectly fine. You're a Goddess; you're certainly allowed to make mistakes and change your mind. When you fall off track, just go back to your Goddess invocation ritual (or whatever you do to invoke your new Goddess self) and do it again. Or maybe you need to do your invocation daily or change something about it to make it more powerful for you. Play with it! Have fun! You're a Goddess!
Let's make 2015 the Year of the Goddess, shall we? See your Goddess self on the other side!