The older I've gotten, the more I've understood the power of morning routines – things you can do to really start your day off on the right foot. My morning routines have varied over the years, but the point is that I have one. I no longer roll out of bed and get on my iPhone. I take my time starting my day, getting grounded and centered.
These days, my morning routine involves:
- Opening up the house to let some fresh air in
- Feeding the squirrels
- Taking Kolby for a stroll in the foothills (emphasis on the word stroll there… you cant move very quickly when you have to stop to wait for your dog to pee every 5 seconds!)
- Feed Kolby
- Make and drink my morning lemon water (juice of half to a whole lemon – or 3-5 drops of lemon essential oil, 1-2 tbs apple cider vinegar, fill the rest with water)
- Morning meditation – 10-20 minutes of grounding, balancing my chakras, thanking the elements, praying, saying my affirmations, and sitting in silence for a few minutes)
- Checking in with myself and my body, asking what I and my body need today
- Shower and start my day
My morning routine makes all the difference in my day. If I skip it, my whole day feels ‘off' and I am much more in gerbil-on-a-wheel mode – anxious, not able to focus. But when I take the time to breathe and feel into my morning, ah….
I know, I know. You're too busy for a morning routine. My full routine can take up to an hour, depending on the day. But I didn't start that way. I started with 5 minutes. That's it. 5 minutes before I even got out of bed. That 5 minutes made such a difference in my day that it became 10, then 15, then 30…
Take time for yourself every morning, even if it's just 5 minutes. You are so worth it.